Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Lifetime comedian, comedy writer and coach
HERE'S AN ADVANCED COMEDY CLASS FOR FREE.
|Posted on August 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM||comments (3)|
HOW DO I WRITE? PERFORM?
Along with many other standup comedy tips.
STANDUP IS MADE UP OF PARTS THAT ARE ALL ASSOCIATED. COMEDY IS MUCH ABOUT ASSOCIATION.
*SETUP/PUNCHLINE (BASIC FORMULA FOR JOKES)
*CHARACTER...IT'S HOW YOU SAY IT....IT DRIVES THE COMEDY
*ATTITUDE...IT'S WHAT YOU MEAN...IT'S THE EMOTION
*ATTITUDE IS HUMAN GRAVITY...
*GIVE THEM ALL OF WHAT YOU GOT?
IN STANDUP YOU GIVE THEM ALL OF WHAT YOU ARE!
*CHARACTER is necessary because standup is visual, the audience sees you and begins immediately to judge you.
...voice, wardrobe, language, and even your stance..you're comedic pose.
TIP: Video yourself and watch for natural stances...and don't be afraid to experiment. Find the right stances. --Body language!
*ATTITUDE is the spice, it's your personal touch, it's where you make the stand in standup! Remember that comedy is emotional.
Attitude is pure emotion! It's your connection to the audience.
IDEAS, PREMISES, WRITING AND EXPANDING IDEAS
IDEA...that's just it. It's an idea until it triggers an emotion in you. Then when you put yourself into an idea it becomes a premise.
PREMISE is a thought out idea that is personal. The more emotional it is the more the tension and the bigger the punch will slam into the audience.
PUNCHLINE tip: DON'T FORGET TO POP YOUR PUNCHLINES!! Say'em like you mean them! You know they're funny, express them like that!
...the key to expanding a joke into a bit is ASSOCIATION.
Always look for a GROUP that your topic might fit into.
You must first drain the topic you're originally beginning with. This is often done with tangent lists of info about your topic all the while also recording all associated terms, expressions, conjured images that the topic instills in you...etc etc.
Always look for GROUPS that your topic might be part of...example: you might be doing some jokes about your
wife. Your wife is part of a bigger group WOMEN!- Your association with her is RELATIONSHIPS-RELATIVES are attached to both of you.
So you might start off talking about being married, then go to wife, then to women! Bam! You now have a bit that is seamless. According to the topic this might end up being
more than several jokes with tags etc.
Then connecting the series of jokes you write to yet another FEELING...gives you yet another route to jokes. PAIN comes in. CONFUSING? ANGRY? EXHAUST YOU?
HOW DO I WRITE AND standup comedy.
~REMEMBER THAT COMEDY WRITING IS FIRST AND FOREMOST CHOOSING THE RIGHT TOPIC! IT MUST STIR EMOTIONS IN YOU.
WRITE DOWN... IMAGES AND BULLET POINTS!!
...SOMETHING HAS TO HAPPEN IN YOUR JOKE. SOMEBODY HAS TO LOSE OR SOMETHING WEIRD HAS GOT TO GO ON AND IN YOUR OWN WAY THERE HAS TO BE A BEGINNING AND AN ENDING...HOPEFULLY A FUNNY ENDING.
...THERE MIGHT BE A COLLISION OF WORLDS OR TWIST THAT WAS UNSEEN. A TRUTH BECOMES KNOWN.... IT HAS TO BE EMOTIONAL WHAM!... YOU GOT A PUNCHLINE.
~WHAT IS FUNNY? FUNNY IS SURPISE! AND IT NEED ONLY MAKE SENSE FROM THE CORNER OF YOUR EYE. ONCE YOU LOOK STRAIGHT AT IT, IT MAY DISAPPEAR.
what is funny to me?
...SURPRISE AND EMBARASSMENT
...TALK ABOUT WHAT HAS CHANGED. THINGS ARE ALWAYS CHANGING.
....WHAT HAVE YOU ACQUIRED? YOU HAVE GOTTEN SOMETHING NEW LATELY, TALK ABOUT IT.
....THINGS OUT OF PLACE - EXAGGERATION - RIDICULE - IGNORANCE
....COMPARISONS - FORCING A CONNECTION TO TWO UNCONNECTED THINGS
WRITE OUT YOUR TOPICS.
DO THEY TELL A STORY? JUDGING BY TOPICS WHAT IS THE RUNNING THEME OF YOUR ACT?
COMEDY IS A BIG 'HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT' UNIVERSE
...DO THINGS PISS YOU OFF? DO YOU SEE AN ABSURDITY IN SOMETHING? CYNICAL? CONFUSED?
YOU DON'T WANT TO BE ABSTRACT, YOU WANT TO BE CONCRETE. ABSTRACT IS DOGS
CONCRETE IS 'YOUR DOG'!
The audience has to identify with what you're saying. The way they do that in standup is with emotion.
CONCRETE is personal and therefore more emotional.
*WRITE NEW PUNCHLINES FOR YOUR JOKES YOU ALREADY HAVE PUNCHLINES FOR.
*WRITE TOP 10 LIST (see Letterman)
...writing a top 10 list for your topics will yield you new jokes and expand your thinking.
*WRITING GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS JOKES ARE FUN AND YOU CAN COME UP WITH QUICK PUNCHLINES THIS WAY.
REMEMBER IN YOUR SET YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD OPENING AND A GREAT CLOSING.
- writing comedy, how to's, standup comedy, jokes, Tonight Show, (6)
- funny info, writer, chili, (5)
- teaching comedy, comedy school, standupschool, (2)
- visual art, communication, (1)
- getting started in comedy writing, (2)
- MCing (1)
- resolve, what does it take, (2)
- benefits of comedy (1)
- POV (1)
- creative comedy (8)
- creative ideas (6)
- writer's block (1)
- getting past doubt (1)
- Premise vs Idea (1)
- Comedy cliques. (1)
- Standup comedy (3)
- Writing, Re-writing (1)
- COMEDY NITE STAFF (1)
- Good news! Bad news! Writing! (1)
- Right to Funny Speech July 4th. (1)
- joke writing (4)
- What's funny to me. Writing (1)
- Memory helpers keywords (1)
- COMICS RIGHTS! (1)
- 'Standup Comedy with a side of Chili' (2)
- San Francisco and Seattle Comedy Competion info (1)
- Writing and comedy (3)
- Political humor (1)
- Rant (1)
- SETUP-PUNCHLINE JOKE FORMULA (1)
- dealing with heckler (1)
- bombing in stand up comedy (1)
- Jerry Seinfeld (1)
- funny words (1)
- Colin Quinn (1)
- Joke Writing exercise, connection (2)
- WRITING & COMEDY (2)
- Funny (2)
- Creativity (1)
- STAND UP, ATTITUDE, (2)
- SET-UP, (1)
- ROAD (1)
- Letterman's Top 10. Writing exercise. (1)
- REAL COMEDY (1)
- KEYS TO STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- SUPERMAN, VULNERABILITY CREATES FUNNY (1)
- BUSINESS OF COMEDY (2)
- WHAT'S FUNNY - RESPECT (1)
- COMEDY TIMING (1)
- WHY comedy (1)
- Coaching stand-ups. (1)
- CREATE, CAPTURE, CAPTIVATE STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY WORLDS standup comedy (1)
- WONDER, WORRY, WRITE (1)
- Heart! Comedy character. Stage persona (1)
- FREE COMEDY CLASS! (1)
- COMEDY TIMING, WHAT IS COMEDIC TIMING? (1)
- love standup comedy. (1)
- COMEDY CLASS VS COMEDY DOJO (1)
- STUPID STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY BREAKTHROUGH (1)
- SECRET TO COMEDY TIMING (1)
- SECRET TO BUSTIN' THRU WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- comedy = pain (1)
- BACK TO CHILDHOOD FUN (1)
- 10 Points about writing. Comedy writing. (1)
- 10 QUOTES (1)
- comedy gains (1)
- FUNNY STANDUP (1)
- FAILING AT COMEDY GOOD? (1)
- HOW TO MOVE UP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Tone critical to stand up comedy and your act. (1)
- SPREADING INFO (1)
- DON'T BE A BORE (1)
- ABOUT MY WEBSITE (1)
- The Comedy Set (1)
- REAL STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RARE OPPORTUNITY IN COMEDY (1)
- FEEL AND THE WRITE. FEELINGS = FUNNY (1)
- A FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING JOKES FOR YOUR STANDUP (1)
- PUNCHLINES (1)
- MY MY MY COMEDY (1)
- NEEDY = COMEDY ARTS? (1)
- STANDOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT STAND UP IS NOT. (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY BASICS (1)
- SETUP PUNCH LINE, STAND UP JOKE FORMULA (1)
- WHAT IF YOU WROTE SOME COMEDY? (1)
- JOKE WRITING SESSION (1)
- FINDING YOUR VOICE (1)
- Comedy Dojo (1)
- WRITING JOKES FOR STANDUP (1)
- Comedy~Dojo Online Soon! (1)
- STANDUP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- THE OLD COMEDY SPIRAL NOTEBOOK (1)
- FEELING FUNNY. WRITE! CREATE~ (1)
- WORK ON UR CRAFT (1)
- GETTING ALL EMOTIONAL ABOUT STAND UP AGAIN (1)
- THINGS WE DISCUSS IN THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO. (1)
- TOM PAPA STUDY (1)
- LAUGHTER IS A FUNNY THING (1)
- FAV QUOTES ABOUT LAUGHTER (1)
- FALLING FOR COMEDY (1)
- HOLIDAY LAUGHS (1)
- Meh HAPPENS (1)
- LIKE BILL COSBY SAID, 'FAR FROM BEING FINISHED' (1)
- BASIC COMEDY KIT (1)
- 100 PERCENT (1)
- NEW YEAR NEW TIP! (1)
- VISIONS (1)
- PAIN AND HUMOR (1)
- 10 THINGS TO AVOID IN COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE FUNNY? (1)
- FLASH BACKS FROM MY TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (1)
- COMEDY WRITING QUESTIONS AND WRITING TIP. (1)
- WELL HAVE YOU? (1)
- WEB INFO ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY DOJO PEP TALK (1)
- MORE OF STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT (1)
- GREAT COMEDY ONLY TAKES MOMENTS (1)
- 11 MORE THINGS STAND UP IS AND IS NOT (1)
- TYPES OF HUMOR AND JOKES (1)
- FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING COMEDY (1)
- HELP IN RUNNING A COMEDY SHOW (1)
- WRITING IS REVISITING (1)
- THINGS I HOPE I CONVEY IN THE COMEDY DOJO (1)
- I ASK WHAT IS THE POINT? (1)
- BEING AROUND LONG ENOUGH IN COMEDY (1)
- HOW TO WRITE FUNNY JOKES! (1)
- COMEDY RAH RAH W/ WRITING TIPS (1)
- 3 WHATS OF WRITING COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY-OWN IT OR LET IT GO (1)
- STUPID IS FUNNY AND TIMELESS (1)
- $20 INFO COMEDY DOJO WORKSHOP. (1)
- WORKING WITH NEW COMEDIANS (1)
- ROBIN WILLIAMS (1)
- IN THE MOMENT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- MY STAND UP COMEDY CAREER ALA READER'S DIGEST (1)
- ISSUES AND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GET INTO YOUR STAND UP COMEDY JOURNEY. (1)
- QUIET RANT = NEW BIT (1)
- WAIT! READ THIS -STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- A NECESSARY CREATIVE ATMOSPHERE (1)
- RAMBLINS ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY & CREATIVITY. (1)
- HELP WITH MEMORY (1)
- IN STAND UP COMEDY LESS IS MORE. (1)
- WHAT'S NEXT AFTER YOU HAVE A STAND UP ACT? (1)
- THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO DO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- SOME THINGS I THINK WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY WRITING (1)
- WORKING CLUBS IS FINE BUT LOOK OUTSIDE THE CLUB TOO. (1)
- KNOW THIS ABOUT COMEDY AND BUSINESS. (1)
- 6 THINGS I'M NOT WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN (1)
- 2015 COMEDY DOJO COACHING SCHEDULE (1)
- 10 MORE THINGS I'VE LEARNED DOING STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- HAVE FUN WITH WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- YOU CAN'T TEACH COMEDY! (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY WANTS YOU! (1)
- QUICK IDEAS ABOUT WRITING. (1)
- GOOD STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT ONLY WORDS (1)
- REASONABLE STAND UP GETS LAUGHS (1)
- QUALITY IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- POINTS FROM THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- COMEDY THRU THE DECADES AND HONESTY (1)
- JUST SAYIN' THANKS TO MICHIGAN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE ART IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- HOW DO YOU STAND OUT IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- FINDING YOUR COMEDY VOICE AND WHY. (1)
- QUOTES ON COURAGE APPLIED TO COMEDY (1)
- MORE ON DISCOVERING COMEDY VOICE (1)
- HANDLING HECKLERS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WRITING STAND UP COMEDY JOKES (1)
- BECOME RESISTANCE TO CREATIVE RESISTANCE (1)
- HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR STAND UP COMEDY. (1)
- 7 REASONS AND A SECRET (1)
- COMICS! GET WITH IT ONLINE!! WRITE! PROMOTE! (1)
- A RANT ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT IS FUNNY? (1)
- IS STAND UP COMEDY ART? (1)
- YOU'RE WORTH LOOKING INTO. (1)
- NO JOKING AROUND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STEALING JOKES IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO FAVS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GETTING PAST FEAR IN STAND UP (1)
- DEVELOPING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- DO YOU THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS IN STAND UP COMEDY?? (1)
- WHEN ASKED WHY I GOT INTO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RISK AND REAP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO TO JOKE WRITING FORMULAS? (1)
- CREATIVE OR CRAZY? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING, FREE!! (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING (MISTAKES( (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHAT IS LPM? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - RISKY MATERIAL? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHEN TO WRITE? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - IT'S NOT ALL JOKING AROUND (1)
- AGEISM IN COMEDY? WELL YEAH, THERE IS. (1)
- COMEDY BURST TRAINING - START WRITING (1)
- 10 THINGS THAT SABOTAGE A STAND UP SET (1)
- THE BEST FORMULA FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- stand up comedy, know thyself, mental health, stage performance (1)
- Stand up comedy, Survival of a bad comedy set, comedy (1)
- stand up comedy, performing, jokes, laughter, thank you (1)
- 1 MINUTE BURST TRAINING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Writing stand up comedy jokes made simple. (1)
- Comedy Dojo - Not a Gym Exactly but Sorta. (1)
- THE WAY (TWEENERS) (1)
- A FIX FOR WRITER'S BLOCK FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- BEFORE WRITING STAND UP CONSIDER THIS (1)
- DON'T FEAR CHANGE IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY GOALS (1)
- SPONSORS NEEDED FOR COMEDY PROJECT (1)
- growing (1)
- DISAPPOINTMENTS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY, GOTTA LOVE IT. 2017 (1)
- 1 FACT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO SUCCEED IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Very Quick Background of My Comedy Career (1)
- WORLD'S SHORTEST WRITING TIPS (1)
- Stand up comedy secrets, joke writing secrets, comedy secrets, writing tips, (1)
- Comedy Breakthrough 3/16/18 (1)
- comedy, critics, do, teach, (1)
- art, comedy, writing comedy, passion, how to's of stand up comedy (1)