Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Lifetime comedian, comedy writer and coach
CREATIVE QUOTES ABOUT WRITING & COMEDY!
|Posted on July 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM||comments ()|
A couple/three of my fav quotes about writing. Might as well be talking about how to write comedy as well. ~
"A wonderful emotion to get things moving when one is stuck is anger. It was anger more than anything else that had set me off, roused me into productivity and creativity". -Mary Garden
"Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron that has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience". - Henry David Thoreau
"Don't think! Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self conscious, and anything self conscious is lazy.
You can't try to do things, you must simply do things".
Didn't know you ran in such good company huh?? Now go do something creative, RANT!....be funny! ;)
ASSOCIATION & CONNECTING NEEDED FOR JOKE WRITING
|Posted on July 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM||comments ()|
Steve Jobs once said that creativity is simply the ability to connect things. He went on to say that creative people have the ability to connect experiences they've had to synthesize new things.
Creating comedy is the exactly the same. Comedy writers connect personal experiences to almost all things and then make a twist or trap door the audience with a punch line creating an entirely new thing.
Funny people possess the ability to set the audience up by seemingly going down a familiar path and then bam!.. corrupt that path into a water slide!
William Plomer said that 'Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected'.
That makes for a great joke writing exercise....
*Write down 2 unconnected things and then find a connection however slim. Remember to think funny. I'm bettin' you write something hilarious! ;) Let me know how it works for you!
WRITING & STANDUP COMEDY IS ABOUT BEING AWARE
|Posted on July 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM||comments ()|
~Be well aware of your world.
~Become aware of other worlds through study and sensitivity.
~Think and more importantly RE-think
~Feel and ask 'What if?'
~Reason without prejudice
~Be fair and fully realize unfairness exists....for there is a world of comedy in unfairness
'You're the only person in the room that has a spotlight on them. How cool is that? C'mon that is totally cool, actually it's awesome! I've done it for over 30 yrs and I know how it feels!! The hardest part is to keep proving you deserve it'.
SIMPLE WEIRD WRITING EXERCISE
|Posted on July 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM||comments ()|
A fun exercise in creativity is what I call writing weird.
Simply write down some weird things.
(dress weird while you do it if you want) go for the eccentric, flaky.
Have fun and write weirdness, oddity, bizarre, you don't have to make sense and you don't have to go for a joke or laughs. Go for different!
Take a topic you already have and run it thru your weird state as I call it. See what happens and let me know. Betcha create the funny in something! ;)
A THOUGHT ABOUT PERFORMING STAND-UP.
|Posted on July 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM||comments ()|
As important as creating your jokes/bits/stories are, you must place the same importance into RECREATING them for your audience.
Now that is stand-up!
VIVA LA COMEDY SMART ASS!
|Posted on July 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM||comments ()|
I've learned that sometimes a great joke is made from that first smart ass remark you make. That quick unfiltered, unedited quip can be soulfully cutting and down to it.
For your comedy writing sake I advise you become aware of that and capture those spews.
An exercise I like to do is flip thru cable stations and make a smart ass remark about any station's programming I land on. I just go with my funny gut and have fun. I spit something out, first impression stuff no editing just go go go.
I usually get a few ideas out of it. Give it a try, go be a smart ass and reap the comedy gold!
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE RANT!
|Posted on July 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM||comments ()|
.~Don't you agree that there's nothing more emotionally satisfying sometimes then to go off on something!? Just be irrational, passionate, borderline offensive??
To me it seems so soulfully human to get fed up with something or about something and so want to vent your frustrations outwardly thru physical actions, sounds and of course speech.The speech itself is more of an utterance of exhaustive pain, expressions and a few sentences, sometimes even just a few strained syllables. Now that's an emotional rant!...and ever so often fertile soil for ....comedy!
Try it. You've heard you need stage time? For a good rant you'll need a little page time! Just pour it out...remember that comedy is image and bullet points. That's how you write a rant...let the editor go and allow the thoughts and emotions to flow. ;) I'm betting you'll get some usable material....or arrested if you do this at Starbucks...but that's a personal story! Go rant and see what I mean.
GOOD CREATIVE AS PERTAINING TO COMEDY
|Posted on June 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM||comments ()|
I was asked recently on a business site what 'good creative' meant in regards to motivating and engaging an audience.
My answer was as follows.
..to me 'good creative' for marketing, engaging and motivating an audience is as simple as the 'free sample or gift'....which of course can take many forms.
Applying your question to my field of humor (standup and comedy writing) I would say that nothing compares to giving the audience something to take home and mostly think about outside of just the immediate laughs.
For me it's the 'message' I have throughout my act. At my shows the audience laughs and at the same time feel as if they are 'being let in on something very positive', as in an understanding along with a few how to's to deal with life's stress and constant attacks of aggravations, etc.. to take home. They leave with something immediate that will be helpful to them long after my show has ended.
I had a man come up to me after my show once in Memphis, TN. He told me that he and his family had seen me a couple of years before at another venue. At that time I was doing a bit that had a catch phrase that he and his family have been using since they had seen me. He went on to tell me the catch phrase had spread thru his entire family nationwide and was used as an understanding and release of tension. In other words I had helped many branches of a family communicate better using humor. That conversation helped me grasp just how powerful a simple standup comedy piece can be. I never forgot that lesson.
That good feeling (which is always engaging) given to an audience wins me fans and motivates them to return to my next performances. They recognize (feel) that there is more to my show than just laughs.
Emotional things are powerful (as in engaging and motivating) and standup comedy is almost pure emotion, there is no reason your standup shouldn't resonate to the point of staying power with your audience.
Your own catch phrases, funny solutions to life's problems, and personal stories of using humor to overcome adversity becomes indelible in the minds of an audience. The comic artist that does this becomes memorable, which of course means you standout to people and that equals developing an audience. Which is in the comedy world is GREAT creative!
Humor helps humans heal!
'You don't really lead people, you motivate people to follow'. ~comedydojo
- writing comedy, how to's, standup comedy, jokes, Tonight Show, (6)
- funny info, writer, chili, (5)
- teaching comedy, comedy school, standupschool, (2)
- visual art, communication, (1)
- getting started in comedy writing, (2)
- MCing (1)
- resolve, what does it take, (2)
- benefits of comedy (1)
- POV (1)
- creative comedy (8)
- creative ideas (6)
- writer's block (1)
- getting past doubt (1)
- Premise vs Idea (1)
- Comedy cliques. (1)
- Standup comedy (3)
- Writing, Re-writing (1)
- COMEDY NITE STAFF (1)
- Good news! Bad news! Writing! (1)
- Right to Funny Speech July 4th. (1)
- joke writing (4)
- What's funny to me. Writing (1)
- Memory helpers keywords (1)
- COMICS RIGHTS! (1)
- 'Standup Comedy with a side of Chili' (2)
- San Francisco and Seattle Comedy Competion info (1)
- Writing and comedy (3)
- Political humor (1)
- Rant (1)
- SETUP-PUNCHLINE JOKE FORMULA (1)
- dealing with heckler (1)
- bombing in stand up comedy (1)
- Jerry Seinfeld (1)
- funny words (1)
- Colin Quinn (1)
- Joke Writing exercise, connection (2)
- WRITING & COMEDY (2)
- Funny (2)
- Creativity (1)
- STAND UP, ATTITUDE, (2)
- SET-UP, (1)
- ROAD (1)
- Letterman's Top 10. Writing exercise. (1)
- REAL COMEDY (1)
- KEYS TO STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- SUPERMAN, VULNERABILITY CREATES FUNNY (1)
- BUSINESS OF COMEDY (2)
- WHAT'S FUNNY - RESPECT (1)
- COMEDY TIMING (1)
- WHY comedy (1)
- Coaching stand-ups. (1)
- CREATE, CAPTURE, CAPTIVATE STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY WORLDS standup comedy (1)
- WONDER, WORRY, WRITE (1)
- Heart! Comedy character. Stage persona (1)
- FREE COMEDY CLASS! (1)
- COMEDY TIMING, WHAT IS COMEDIC TIMING? (1)
- love standup comedy. (1)
- COMEDY CLASS VS COMEDY DOJO (1)
- STUPID STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY BREAKTHROUGH (1)
- SECRET TO COMEDY TIMING (1)
- SECRET TO BUSTIN' THRU WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- comedy = pain (1)
- BACK TO CHILDHOOD FUN (1)
- 10 Points about writing. Comedy writing. (1)
- 10 QUOTES (1)
- comedy gains (1)
- FUNNY STANDUP (1)
- FAILING AT COMEDY GOOD? (1)
- HOW TO MOVE UP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Tone critical to stand up comedy and your act. (1)
- SPREADING INFO (1)
- DON'T BE A BORE (1)
- ABOUT MY WEBSITE (1)
- The Comedy Set (1)
- REAL STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RARE OPPORTUNITY IN COMEDY (1)
- FEEL AND THE WRITE. FEELINGS = FUNNY (1)
- A FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING JOKES FOR YOUR STANDUP (1)
- PUNCHLINES (1)
- MY MY MY COMEDY (1)
- NEEDY = COMEDY ARTS? (1)
- STANDOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT STAND UP IS NOT. (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY BASICS (1)
- SETUP PUNCH LINE, STAND UP JOKE FORMULA (1)
- WHAT IF YOU WROTE SOME COMEDY? (1)
- JOKE WRITING SESSION (1)
- FINDING YOUR VOICE (1)
- Comedy Dojo (1)
- WRITING JOKES FOR STANDUP (1)
- Comedy~Dojo Online Soon! (1)
- STANDUP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- THE OLD COMEDY SPIRAL NOTEBOOK (1)
- FEELING FUNNY. WRITE! CREATE~ (1)
- WORK ON UR CRAFT (1)
- GETTING ALL EMOTIONAL ABOUT STAND UP AGAIN (1)
- THINGS WE DISCUSS IN THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO. (1)
- TOM PAPA STUDY (1)
- LAUGHTER IS A FUNNY THING (1)
- FAV QUOTES ABOUT LAUGHTER (1)
- FALLING FOR COMEDY (1)
- HOLIDAY LAUGHS (1)
- Meh HAPPENS (1)
- LIKE BILL COSBY SAID, 'FAR FROM BEING FINISHED' (1)
- BASIC COMEDY KIT (1)
- 100 PERCENT (1)
- NEW YEAR NEW TIP! (1)
- VISIONS (1)
- PAIN AND HUMOR (1)
- 10 THINGS TO AVOID IN COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE FUNNY? (1)
- FLASH BACKS FROM MY TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (1)
- COMEDY WRITING QUESTIONS AND WRITING TIP. (1)
- WELL HAVE YOU? (1)
- WEB INFO ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY DOJO PEP TALK (1)
- MORE OF STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT (1)
- GREAT COMEDY ONLY TAKES MOMENTS (1)
- 11 MORE THINGS STAND UP IS AND IS NOT (1)
- TYPES OF HUMOR AND JOKES (1)
- FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING COMEDY (1)
- HELP IN RUNNING A COMEDY SHOW (1)
- WRITING IS REVISITING (1)
- THINGS I HOPE I CONVEY IN THE COMEDY DOJO (1)
- I ASK WHAT IS THE POINT? (1)
- BEING AROUND LONG ENOUGH IN COMEDY (1)
- HOW TO WRITE FUNNY JOKES! (1)
- COMEDY RAH RAH W/ WRITING TIPS (1)
- 3 WHATS OF WRITING COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY-OWN IT OR LET IT GO (1)
- STUPID IS FUNNY AND TIMELESS (1)
- $20 INFO COMEDY DOJO WORKSHOP. (1)
- WORKING WITH NEW COMEDIANS (1)
- ROBIN WILLIAMS (1)
- IN THE MOMENT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- MY STAND UP COMEDY CAREER ALA READER'S DIGEST (1)
- ISSUES AND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GET INTO YOUR STAND UP COMEDY JOURNEY. (1)
- QUIET RANT = NEW BIT (1)
- WAIT! READ THIS -STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- A NECESSARY CREATIVE ATMOSPHERE (1)
- RAMBLINS ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY & CREATIVITY. (1)
- HELP WITH MEMORY (1)
- IN STAND UP COMEDY LESS IS MORE. (1)
- WHAT'S NEXT AFTER YOU HAVE A STAND UP ACT? (1)
- THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO DO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- SOME THINGS I THINK WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY WRITING (1)
- WORKING CLUBS IS FINE BUT LOOK OUTSIDE THE CLUB TOO. (1)
- KNOW THIS ABOUT COMEDY AND BUSINESS. (1)
- 6 THINGS I'M NOT WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN (1)
- 2015 COMEDY DOJO COACHING SCHEDULE (1)
- 10 MORE THINGS I'VE LEARNED DOING STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- HAVE FUN WITH WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- YOU CAN'T TEACH COMEDY! (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY WANTS YOU! (1)
- QUICK IDEAS ABOUT WRITING. (1)
- GOOD STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT ONLY WORDS (1)
- REASONABLE STAND UP GETS LAUGHS (1)
- QUALITY IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- POINTS FROM THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- COMEDY THRU THE DECADES AND HONESTY (1)
- JUST SAYIN' THANKS TO MICHIGAN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE ART IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- HOW DO YOU STAND OUT IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- FINDING YOUR COMEDY VOICE AND WHY. (1)
- QUOTES ON COURAGE APPLIED TO COMEDY (1)
- MORE ON DISCOVERING COMEDY VOICE (1)
- HANDLING HECKLERS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WRITING STAND UP COMEDY JOKES (1)
- BECOME RESISTANCE TO CREATIVE RESISTANCE (1)
- HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR STAND UP COMEDY. (1)
- 7 REASONS AND A SECRET (1)
- COMICS! GET WITH IT ONLINE!! WRITE! PROMOTE! (1)
- A RANT ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT IS FUNNY? (1)
- IS STAND UP COMEDY ART? (1)
- YOU'RE WORTH LOOKING INTO. (1)
- NO JOKING AROUND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STEALING JOKES IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO FAVS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GETTING PAST FEAR IN STAND UP (1)
- DEVELOPING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- DO YOU THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS IN STAND UP COMEDY?? (1)
- WHEN ASKED WHY I GOT INTO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RISK AND REAP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO TO JOKE WRITING FORMULAS? (1)
- CREATIVE OR CRAZY? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING, FREE!! (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING (MISTAKES( (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHAT IS LPM? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - RISKY MATERIAL? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHEN TO WRITE? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - IT'S NOT ALL JOKING AROUND (1)
- AGEISM IN COMEDY? WELL YEAH, THERE IS. (1)
- COMEDY BURST TRAINING - START WRITING (1)
- 10 THINGS THAT SABOTAGE A STAND UP SET (1)
- THE BEST FORMULA FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- stand up comedy, know thyself, mental health, stage performance (1)
- Stand up comedy, Survival of a bad comedy set, comedy (1)
- stand up comedy, performing, jokes, laughter, thank you (1)
- 1 MINUTE BURST TRAINING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Writing stand up comedy jokes made simple. (1)
- Comedy Dojo - Not a Gym Exactly but Sorta. (1)
- THE WAY (TWEENERS) (1)
- A FIX FOR WRITER'S BLOCK FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- BEFORE WRITING STAND UP CONSIDER THIS (1)
- DON'T FEAR CHANGE IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY GOALS (1)
- SPONSORS NEEDED FOR COMEDY PROJECT (1)
- growing (1)
- DISAPPOINTMENTS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY, GOTTA LOVE IT. 2017 (1)
- 1 FACT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO SUCCEED IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Very Quick Background of My Comedy Career (1)
- WORLD'S SHORTEST WRITING TIPS (1)
- Stand up comedy secrets, joke writing secrets, comedy secrets, writing tips, (1)
- Comedy Breakthrough 3/16/18 (1)
- comedy, critics, do, teach, (1)
- art, comedy, writing comedy, passion, how to's of stand up comedy (1)